Volunteer Training Requirements and Information
In order to be deployed by VDART to a disaster, our team members must
- 1. Return a completed Volunteer Application Form and Waiver.
- 2. Be at least 18 years of age.
- 3. Complete (at a minimum) Level One of the following training curriculum.
DART Level One Training (Required)
Volunteering for Your State Disaster Animal Response Team free, self-paced webinar that introduces volunteers to their state disaster animal response team. Learn more here.
Emergency Animal Sheltering Course
Offered by VDART throughout the year.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Independent Study Courses
(free, self-paced and on-line)
DART Level Two Training (Optional)
DART Level Three Training (Optional)
- 1. Animal and human rapid water rescue
- 2. Animal and human rope incline rescue
- 3. Advanced ICS training
- 4. Advanced search and rescue
- 5. Introduction to hazardous materials
Other Training (Optional)
- 1. Hands-on training (volunteer at your local animal shelter!)
- 2. Formal and informal animal disaster drills
- 3. Exotic animal handling
- 4. Shelter management simulation exercises
- 5. Communications equipment and protocols
- 6. Cross training with other state and local DART teams
- 7. American Red Cross training
– First Aid/CPR
– Introduction to Disaster Services
– Introduction to Disaster Services Mass Care: An Overview
– Shelter Operations
– Shelter Simulation
– Mass Care
– Emergency Assistance to Families